SPECworkstation™ 3 benchmark
The SPECworkstation™ 3 benchmark measures all key aspects of workstation performance based on diverse
professional applications. It was introduced with initial benchmarking results on October 31, 2018.
The SPECworkstation 3 benchmark is available for immediate download. It is free for everyone but sellers of computers and related products, who are required to pay a $5,000 vendor license.
Free license for the SPECworkstation 3 benchmark
This is available to everyone but sellers of computers and related products.
Major new features and upgrades in the SPECworkstation 3 benchmark include:
- A totally redesigned storage workload based on traces of nearly two-dozen applications.
- Workloads that reflect changes in updated versions of Blender, Handbrake, Python and Luxrender applications.
- GPU-accelerated workloads based on Luxrender, Caffe, and Folding@Home applications.
- Refreshed graphics workloads from the SPECviewperf 13 benchmark, including new viewsets representing Autodesk Maya, PTC Creo, energy (oil & gas), and medical applications.
- A more robust GUI and improved results validation and error reporting.
- An option to report results based on subsystems in addition to vertical market segments.
Running the benchmark
More than 30 workloads containing nearly 140 tests in the SPECworkstation 3 benchmark exercise CPU, graphics, I/O and memory bandwidth. The workloads are divided by application categories that include media and entertainment (3D animation, rendering), product development (CAD/CAM/CAE), life sciences (medical, molecular), financial services, energy (oil and gas), general operations, and GPU compute.
Individual scores are generated for each test and a composite score for each category is calculated based on a reference machine, yielding a "bigger is better" result. The reference machine is a Z240 tower with the following configuration:
Processor: Intel E3-1240 v5 @3.5GHz
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro WX3100
Memory: 16GB, DDR3 2133MHz
Storage: SanDisk 512GB SSD
OS: MS Windows 10 build 17134
The SPECworkstation 3 benchmark does not require the full application and associated licensing to be installed on the system under test, simplifying set-up, running and results reporting. It runs under Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit RS3 or later. Results from the SPECworkstation 3 benchmark cannot be compared to earlier versions of the SPECwpc benchmark.